We, the undersigned, support the protest against the travel ban imposed on Omar Barghouti
We are Israeli citizens, active against Israel’s occupation and violations of international law. We would like to express our support of Omar Barghouti’s right to freedom of speech and assembly as the co-founder of the BDS campaign.
In doing so, we join numerous individuals and organizations across the world:
1. Academic BDS, Argentina
2. Sydney Staff for BDS, Australia
3. Belgian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (BACBI), Belgium
4. Faculty for Palestine, Canada
5. College and University Workers United (CUWU), Canada
6. Association des Universitaires pour le Respect du Droit International en Palestine (AURDIP),
7. Indian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (InCACBI), India
8. Academics for Palestine, Ireland
9. Stop Technion Campaign, Italy
10. Akademisk og Kulturell Boikott av Staten Israel (AKULBI), Norway
11. Pakistanis for Palestine, Pakistan
12. Action Group at KTH för Boycott of Israel (PSABI), Sweden
13. British Committee for the Universities of Palestine (BRICUP), UK
14. Artists for Palestine, UK
15. Architects and Planners for Justice in Palestine, UK
16. US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (USACBI), USA
It should be noted that several European governments have recently announced that a call forBDS is protected under the right to freedom of speech and assembly. Our protest resonates with governments and citizens, speaking out for the right to call for BDS. For example:
Dutch foreign minister says BDS “protected by the freedom of expression”.
Irish foreign minister says BDS is a “legitimate political viewpoint” and that his department is monitoring Israel’s repression of BDS movement co-founder Omar Barghouti.
352 European bodies call on the EU to support right to boycott.
23,000 people appeal to UN on the #RightToBoycott
Many of us support the BDS campaign, and those of us who are privileged Jewish Israeli citizens, are free to travel abroad and advocate for this cause. Targeting Omar Barghouti by the Israeli government shows that Palestinians have no right to free speech and free movement, as far as this government is concerned. We intend to continue our efforts for the attainment of justice and equality in Palestine/Israel.
Nabila Espanioly on behalf of Al-Tufula Pedagogical Center and Multipurpose Women's Center in Nazareth
BOYCOTT! Supporting the Palestinian BDS call from within!
Coalition of Women for Peace